Cobblestone Buildings in Wayne County, New York


  
                         Chapman house on Maple Avenue in Palmyra is immaculately
                         maintained by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
                         It is one of the finest examples of cobblestone architecture in
                        Wayne County.
                                          *   *   *
  (This very insightful letter tho the editor appeared in The Genesee Farmer, March 8, 1838, Vol. 8 No. 9)
                             BUILDING COBBLE STONE HOUSES
    Mr. Tucker - I observed in the Monthly Genesee Farmer of February a request for some one who was qualified to answer the inquiry concerning the manner of building cobble stone walls, of their durability, the proportion of the mortar, the expense of building, &c.
   Having had some experience in this business, I cheerfully transmit a few facts relative to the foregoing request.
   Having erected two or three buildings each season, for several years past, I shall only mention one which I built last season. It is 40 feet by 60, four stories high. The foundation is three feet high, the first story 10 8-12 feet high, the second 11 2-12 feet high, the third 13 3-12 feet, the fourth story 10 3-12 high; making from the foundation to the plates 48 4-12 feet in height, with a wing  24 by 34, one story. The whole was built of cobble stone, (not of the first quality) the outside was laid in courses of cobble stone four inches in thickness, and larger stone on the inside.
   It is a steam flouring mill and has been in operation three months. It stands perfectly well - it is situated in the village of Palmyra, on Canal-street. As regards their durability, if they are laid with good materials and in a workmanlike manner, I am perfectly convinced they will stand and their solidity will increase as their age increases. 
  The quality and quantity of sand with the lime is very essential. The coarser and purer
the sand, the stronger will be tho cement and the firmer the wall. As for the proper quantity of sand with the lime, it depends on its coarseness and purity. The proportion which I generally use is from five to eight bushels of sand to one of lime in the stone. As for elegance and taste, every one who has seen a cobble stone building built as it should be, will acknowledge that it surpasses quarry stone or brick buildings.
   As for the expense of building, it is cheaper than almost any other kind of building.
If the above, after such corrections as you may deem expedient, will be of use to your readers, let it have a place in your paper; if not, throw it under the table; suit yourself and you will suit.
Your ob't servant,
Marion, (N.Y.) Feb. 27, 1838. Chester Clark.


                                   Arcadia (including Village of Newark)

               

This impressive cobblestone mansion at 518 West Maple Avenue at the corner of West Avenue in Newark was built in 1840, (according to the date stone)  by Jacob Miller who moved from Cherry Valley, where he was a hatter, to Newark in 1825 - the year the Erie Canal opened. He purchased considerable property here and became a prosperous farmer. The water-washed stones came from Lake Ontario. It ultimately became the home of  Stuart family who were long involved in the costume jewelry business and later founded Sarah Coventry Inc.


             

View of the rear of the house. This is one of four cobblestone houses in Newark.


                     

Detail of the remarkable craftsmanship of the use of washed Lake Ontario sandstones.
                                                      ________

The stately James P. Bartle cobblestone farmhouse was built on what is now West Miller Street in Newark in 1836. Bartle operated the first store in Newark He was a veteran of the War if 1812 and was a prominent businessman. The house was demolished in 1938 to make way for the new junior high school.  Photo, taken in the 1870s,  courtesy of  Newark-Arcadia Historical Society.


                                     
                        

                                                928 North Main St., Newark

                      

                                              240 West Pearl Street

                      

                                      107 Maple Court, Newark

                      

                                                   545 Vienna St. facing east

                      

                                            545 Vienna St. facing north

                   

This house at 112 East Miller St. was built in the 1830s.  It was demolished in 1964. According to an article in the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle of August 5, 1964 the property leveled also included the Crescent Theater. The gable end of the two-story house faced the street and had a two-story recessed wing shown at the right. Stones were a mix of water rounded and small field stones set four rows to a quoin on the front and three on the side. Some stones were set diagonally. The main part of the house had two windows up and two down with a grill-sized window centered above them in the gable which was complete with its own full sized limestone lintel and sill just as in the four other windows on the facade.  The left elevation had a door with a window centered above it set toward the rear corner, otherwise no other openings on the wall.  The recessed wing on the right was actually wider than the main block.  It contained two (slightly smaller) windows up and a door and window centered below them.   The roofline was unusual—it was basically a shed roof with a change of angle about a third of the way across the frontage, giving a slightly domed appearance.   A roofed, open porch spanned the wing. For many years it was a doctor's office.


                      

                     

                                             2659 Minsted Road

                     

                       This house at 2467 Parker Road may be one of the oldest cobblestone
                       houses in Wayne County. It was built by at least 1833 for the Rev.
                       Preston Parker. Four generations of the Parker family lived here. Its
                       original configuration was 14 rooms. There was a meeting room on
                      the second floor where religious services for the local group of worshippers
                      known as the Parker Neighborhood, which later was reorganized as
                      East Palmyra Methodist Church.

                           

                                      3677 Heidenreich Road

                                     Date stone at 3677 Heidenreich Road

                         

                                               301 Silver Road

                          

                                               2269 Dewindt Road

                          


                                                         905 Bell Road


                         

                          

                           5590 Pardy Smith Road
  
                                        Butler
   
             
                                  






                                   



Built in the 1820s, the Roe school house in the town of Butler is believed to be the oldest existing cobblestone school house in North America.Now a museum, it is located at 12397 Van Vleck Road at the intersection of Route 89. It was built by Daniel Roe, an early pioneer. It was often referred to as the Watson Schoolhouse. It is believed to be one of the very oldest cobblestone buildings in the area. Rather than using the smooth-washed lake stones characteristic of later cobblestone buildings, it is constructed of rough field stones that were taken from the property on which it rests. Some of the stones were split in half because of their larger size. 


Roe school house in the early 1900s.  It ceased to function as a school in 1932 and for years was a private residence. is now operated as a schoolhouse museum by the Butler Preservation Society, which also operates the Butler Church Museum.Both museums are open on the first Saturday of the month from May through October, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.  For appointment to see it call Dorothy Wiggins at 315-594-2332 or Lori Howland at 315-594-1844.  It has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 2009.                                         
                       
                                    Galen






Robinson House,  built 1831-32 by John  Robinson, 8841 Lock Berlin Road


Thorn House, 10297 Turnpike Road, Galen (east of Marengo.






8880 Sunderland Road


                              Romyen House (Kyburg Black Angus Farm) 1018 Eyer 
                              Road, Lyons. "T.T. Romyen 1841" over door.


                                   Below is  the smoke house in back.


                    

                               790 Gansz Road, Lyons, east side Mansard roof added ca. 1875.
                                  
                     Huron





                               Upson-Brudage House, 10785 Ridge Road, north side of Old
                              Route 104 about five miles west of Wolcott. Due to its location,
                              some 20 feet below the highway, it is out of sight.  It was built
                              by Solomon Upson in 1847-48. 
                               


 10699 Lummisville Road 

Lyons


3532 Layton Road



Construction commenced on the Jackson one-room school house at 336 Pleasant Valley Road, Lyons, in 1829. It was completed in 1831 at a cost of $187. It was named for President Andrew Jackson. The walls are 21 inches thick. It is built of field stones and measures 24 by 28 feet. The children left their coats and lunch pails in the entry area. There were no desks. Instead the students used shelves attached to the walls with benches for seats. Clark Mason was the first teacher. It was used until 1947 and then became a private residence. It is currently (2017) the home local historian Mark DeCracker and his wife. Photo courtesy of Mark DeCracker.


                            Same structure as it appears today. Photo by Mark DeCracker
             
Rochester Democrat & Chronicle

Thursday, August 20, 1927

Centennial of Jackson School
To be Marked by Reunion Today
                       ____
Little Cobblestone Building in Towns of Lyons
and Arcadia Still in Use, with but Few Repairs
to Exterior and Modernization of Interior
                  ____
   Lyons, Aug. 19. - The centennial of the erection of the cobblestone school house in District 6, known as the Jackson school, will be marked by a reunion tomorrow.
    Among the early settlers in the community was Dr. Cyrus Jackson, who located about five miles southwest of this village in 1800. He was married and lived in a log cabin until 1821, when he constructed a more pretentious house near the site of his former home.  This house, built in 1821, and now owned by Paul Seiling, stood with practically no reconstruction until two years ago when the siding began to give way on account of age and the outside was shingled.
    In 1831 children in the neighborhood of the Jackson settlement began to reach school age and the problem of constructing a school house was brought to the consideration of the settlers. In March, 1831, Hugh Jameson of Lyons, then commissioner of common schools, called a meeting of the residents of the neighborhood at the home of Dr. Jackson. At that meeting a school organization was effected by electing Christopher Myers, Peter Ackerson and Reuben Penoyer as trustees, Dr. Jackson, clerk and Peter Lott, collector of taxes.
    At this meeting it was decided to erect a school house. The plans provided it should be of cobblestone laid in lime and the building was 24 feet by 26 feet. The district was known as District 6 of Lyons and Arcadia, as the property is located partly in the two towns. The total cost of masonry and carpentry was $137.  The school opened that summer with Clark Mason of Lyons as teacher. The tuition charged was that each family should furnish one-half a cord of wood split and ready to burn for each child sent to the school. The wood was used for heating the school house. As Dr. Jackson had ten children, it will be seen that he had to skirmish around and have five cords of wood ready. 
    Miss Carrie E. Jackson and Aaron Jackson, grandchildren of Dr. Jackson, still reside on the farm adjoining the school house which has always been known as the "Jackson School House," being named at its erection in  honor of Andrew Jackson, then President  of the United states, between whom and Aaron and Miss Carrie Jackson there is a well defined line of family relationship.
    Today, 100 years after its erection, this little school house is still performing the duties for which it was built. The stone walls, two feet in thickness, in places show a slight separation, but aside from this and new siding from the roof to the stone wall, all remains as when first erected, even to the beams laid upon the stone walls.
        



    Teachout House, Old Route 31, [old portion of Montezuma Turnpike
    (abandoned). Teachout family lived here, 1847 -  1943.

         
                 View of west wall


Kitchen at left added. A story is told of a young girl, Minerva Croul,who observed construction of the house and dreamed of one day living there. She eventually married Henry Teachout, who had atannery in Lyons. He later purchased the house and its 212-acrefarm. The land was heavily wooded and stony at the time andtook a tremendous effort to develop. Eventually tobacco was one of their major crops. Minerva lived there until she died at 90.



                                     
                                    8279 Old Route 31, Lyons. Built for Elias Richmond in  1834.                                                              Has wooden lintels and transom over  inset front door. 




                   1961 Brandt Road



937 Route 14






                    The Cobblestone Blacksmith Shop in Alloway

    As the early settlers of Lyons began to clear their land, they faced a special problem. The recession of the glacier that covered much of New York State in prehistoric times, left small, round stones, known as cobbles, covering the farmland. These stones had to be removed before the fields could be planted with crops. The cobbles were gathered up and used for building and, as a result, Wayne County is the site of one of the most unusual and beautiful kinds of architecture in this country. Lyons has several beautiful cobblestone homes and buildings, but the most unique is the blacksmith shop in Alloway.
    In 1832, Alfred Hale built a small two-story, octagonal, cobblestone blacksmith shop on Alloway Road. Each side of the building is 12 1/2 feet long, has walls three inches thick and is constructed of fieldstone cobble. The building was used for years as a blacksmith shop, and most recently as a machine shop. 
    There were many advantages of using cobblestones for a shop of this sort. Cobblestones are very strong and make a solid structure. They are fireproof; a very important consideration in the days before fire departments, and the thick walls kept the building warm in the winter and cool in the summer. The stone buildings required little outside maintenance and needed no paint. 
    Nearly one hundred seventy five years after its construction, the unique building retains its original charm and is often the subject for photographers and artists. The crack near the door was made when a car lost control and crashed into the building and one can still see the remnants of paint left from when the shop owner lost a election wager and the structure was painted red, white and blue.
    Cleveland Frind bought the blacksmith shop, and the cobblestone house across the street, in 1918. The blacksmith shop closed in 1936, after the automobile had replaced horses. The building was then used as a machine shop until around 1960. Cleveland’s son and daughter-in-law, Ralph, and Helen Frind, lived in the cobblestone house across the street from the octagonal structure for many years. Shortly after Ralph passed away in 2008, the house and shop were sold to former Lyons resident Mary LaGasse Tatum.





                         

                          Old cobblestone blacksmith shop and house, 827 Alloway Road




                          3532 Layton Street Road. Inscription on date stone over door
                          is "A.H.V.D.B. 1831," initials of the original owner, Arthur
                          Henry Van Der Bilt." the original owner. This one of the oldest
                          date documented cobblestone houses in the county.


                                                           3425 Middle Sodus Road

                                                                         Macedon


                          Jordan House built in 1834, is at 1484 Alderman Road, Macedon.


      
                       This house at 5 West Main St., Macedon, was built in 1839 by Nathan
                       Reed, a Quaker. Cobblestones came from the shore of Lake Ontario
                       near Pultneyville.

 
                    Bullis House, 1727 Canandaigua Road, Macedon. Built ca. 1839 by
                   Charles Bullis.



                                                   Historical marker for Bullis House
______


                              Baker House,  815 Canandaigua Road. "J. & D. Baker 1850" on
                             date stone. Jacob Terry was the mason. It is of the Gothic Cottage
                             design.




North side of house with modern brick chimney.


Kitchen side of house      


                                        Fine herring bone design on Baker House.

                                           Marion




                                                   4247 Eddy Ridge Road


                                    District School #4 at 4430 Eddy Ridge Road still stands.  It ceased
                             as a school at the end of the 1923 school year when Marion Central
                             School District was formed.  The front wall is of  herring bone design. 


                
                                 School house as it presently appears.
          
This was called the Eddy Ridge District No. 6. Teachers included Edith VanOstrand and Sylvia Lybart

From a paper by: Heather Redmond for the Hoffman Award (specific to Wayne County History)  titled : "Tales, Triumphs and Tribulations of Marion's School Districts".  

"District schoolhouse #6 is located on Eddy Ridge Rd of Marion.  This cobblestone schoolhouse has also been converted into a home. Below is described a typical day at district schoolhouse #6 in the year 1915.

"School began at 9 AM and usually ended at 4 PM.  If the children arrived at school early, they played various games outside until the teacher walked out ringing a sturdy handbell.  This was the signal to start school, and the children would all rush in the schoolhouse to an outside hall.  The boys were to hang their coats there, while the girls had a special closet in which to hang their belongings."

"During the winter months the children wore leggings and felt boots.  The boots were put in a row along the back room most of the time, but occasionally the students were allowed to put the boots by the coal stove in order to dry a bit better. The school had approximately four or five rows of desks with aisles in between each row.  The teacher's desk was situated in the front of the room upon a platform.  Beside the desk was a pail of drinking water containing one tin dipper from which everyone drank.  Years later this tin dipper was replaced with paper cups to prevent the spreading of colds.  The students were to take turns fetching water from a well across the road at Mascle's farm to keep the pail full.""

"Behind the teacher's desk was the blackboard and on the teacher's desk was a desk bell which she used to signal the different classes up to the front of the room.  This was done by grade levels starting with the first grade.  The bell would ring and the first graders moved to the front rows of the classroom while the upper grades moved to the rear of the room.  The older students were expected to work on specific assignments disregarding the noise from the front of the room. Concentrating was sometimes the most difficult thing to do in a one room school setting.  The children always had something to work on though.  The subjects taught were somewhat similar to today's subjects but were more concentrated in the basic courses.  For example, school district #6 had no classes for band, chorus, wood shop, home economics or gym. Although they had no gym class, school district #6 was never without a softball team.  One reason for this was there was never a shortage of boys.  In 1915 the courses that were taught included geography ( in which there was a regents), reading, writing, arithmetic, spelling and some history. 

"Once in a while there was a need for some discipline.  The teacher took care of the problem without too much fuss.  For example if a boy was not behaving as a young man should, he was simply seated on the girl's side of the room or told to move up to the front of the room.  The same tactic was used on the girls, but problems did not occur as frequently with the girls as with the boys.

"The winter classes were much bigger than the summer classes, as true with most of the district schools, because it was during the summer months that the boys would stay home to help fathers with the work to be done in the fields.

"The bathroom facility was attached to the schoolhouse, but in order to get to the bathroom, you had to leave the schoolhouse and circle around to the side of the building.  District schoolhouse #6 was surrounded by maple trees.  Every Arbor Day the children planted saplings around the schoolhouse.  Each tree had been named after the child who planted it."

"School district #6 had many school teachers.  Some of these were Mary Content, Sylvia DeMay Liebert, Gertrude Luce and Gertrude Loveless.  Some families that attended this district were the Dean, Allen, Ocques, Cook, Naeye, Boerman, Burbank, Crane, Bosse, Shipper, Mascle, Rice, Murphy, Johnson, Peck and DeRidder.
               


                                    Herring bone design is evident on the building.


4398 Ridge Chapel  Road






                                              4092 North Main St., village of Marion



                                              Date stone at 4092 North Main St., village of Marion
 



                         This house at 4057 N. Main St., Marion was built for the 
                         pastor of the  Christian Church. 

                                Cut fieldstone house at 3541 Parker Road.  Built in 1823
                                by Peleg Sanford.


                     

                             3456 Newark-Marion Road. This is said to have originally been a 
                            well house on the Caldwell farm.

                    

                               4398 Ridge Chapel Road

                    

                     

                                              4413 Ridge Chapel Road 

                    

                                  4851 Ridge Chapel Road

                   

                                            4513 Eddy Ridge Road

                    

                                            5330 Eddy Ridge Road
                                             

                     

                             Wells House, 5137 Mason Road, pre-1833.

                     

                                  Built on cobblestone foundation


                      

                                                            Facing north

                                

                                           Multi-colored washed lake stones

                           

                                                4735 Farnsworth Road


                                    3713 Parker Road. Built in 1822 by Stephen and Peleg Sanford. 



                        Cobblestone barn at 4154 at Marion-East Williamson
                        Road.  Built 1840.


4471 Dormedy Hill Road. Date stone says "J.C. Green Erected A.D. 1849."







                              4685 Marion-East Williamson Road. Built by Samuel Barrett in
                             1840 (date stone between second floor windows). The Barrett
                             family lived here for several generations.




                             4676 White Road, Marion, Samuel Smith, original owner.  Built
                             ca. 1830-32. The 68-acre farm was purchased by James White in 1880.
                             It was surrounded by an apple orchard. Later it became a tenant house
                             and later it was used for storage. Restoration work began in
                             1948 by James and Carrie White, and later by Tom and Cindy Ikewood.




This house at 5336 Van Cruyingham Road appears to have been 
   overlooked by any cobblestone building surveys of Wayne County.

Ontario


                               407 Lake Road. Built 1844. Greek Revival,  but hidden by bushes
                               and trees.
                 
     
                                                        1695 Lake Road


                                                        7105 Fisher Road




                                                        1556 Lake Road, circa 1835



                                                         5668 Lincoln Road


                                                         7101 Knickerbocker Road


                                                         7325 Knickerbocker Road


7272 Ontario Center Road





Note the artistic herringbone design.



5952 Ontario Center Road



    5708 Walworth-Ontario Road


5820 Walworth-Ontario Road

Palmyra




 This house at 2095 Maple Ave., Palmyra, replaced a one and a half-story wooden
 frame house that originally stood on this site. When Martin Harris, a follower
 of Mormon leader Joseph Smith, left here in 1831, it was occupied by William 
Chapman. The house burned to the ground in 1849 and was replaced by this 
cobblestone house, built by Robert Johnson for Chapman.  The stones were 
collected from the shore of the lake by his son, Thomas Johnson, who was only 
10 years old at the time. It was a three-day round trip to Lake Ontario and return. 
Hauling back a load of stone was a slow process. It took one day go to the lake, 
one day to gather the stones and one day to return home. The stones were then
sorted and sized, with the most uniform ones used for the front, and the less
desirable ones on the sides and back. 





Fire place chimney, north side of house.
_____


The house, on the west side of Maple Avenue, is owned by the Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints (Mormons). Once a visitors center, it now serves as the private 
residence  for missionaries.






                          This commercial building at 105 Market St., Palmyra, was built
                          in the 1830s by William Tilden, a local tinsmith. During the post
                          - Civil War period it was occupied by L. D. Sellick & Company,
                         basket-makers. It has a bracketed cornice. The facade consists
                         of varied-sized lake cobblestones. Some discrete alterations have
                         been made over the years. There are apartments upstairs.



                                                 Rear view of 105 Market St.



                                 Blackburn house, 2121 Walker Road, Palmyra


 The William Luce House is situated at 2792 Shilling Road, Palmyra. It was built 
of lake stone with a large chimney at either end. A marble plate over the door reads
"W. L. 1839. "The alternate slanting of the lake stones is an exclusive feature
 of this house. The stones are very well graded, and the mason work is well done. 


                                          Date stone on Luce house




2873 Route 21



2822 Route 21




District 7 school house on the west side of the intersection of North Creek and
Lyons roads in the town of Palmyra was built in 1846. It is about a mile north 
of Port Gibson. Later it was converted to a barn and a large door cut in in one 
end. In the 1950s it was owned by J.B. O'Meil who bought it for $25 to store 
farm implement. It is mostly constructed of lake washed red sandstone cobbles. 
The lintels and quoins are quarried limestone. Photos by Marilyn Burke.


Jagger House, 2799 Lyon Road. Built 1840.
                                                       

2631 Quaker Road, called "Tamerlayne."



                                                 Thomas House, 3313 Jeffrey Road


                           Rogers House, 4449 Hogback Road. Notice the use of field stones for
                          foundation and lake-washed stones for the rest of the facade.




                           Bela Morgan House, 3336 Hanagan Road. This is believed be one
                           of the oldest cobblestone houses in the town of Palmyra,  built  in
                          1832 or earlier. A later owner nicknamed it "Fiddlesticks Farm".
                          It is built  of field cobbles.

   
                                                                   Facing south


Facing north


3134 Hanagan Road, built 1834. Facing west


                                            Also note cobblestone cellar entrance.


2775 Maple Ave.


 2788 Quaker Road


                            McKachnie house,  151 Church St., Village of  Palmyra. Built 
                           in  the 1830s by Alexander McKachie, a native of Scotland. There
                           was a malt house in the rear.


Job Durfee House, 1840, at 3175 Route 21


2792 Shilling Road


Out building, 930 Vienna Road


Newton warehouse, Canal Street, Palmyra. Built 1845 to store apples and
                       potatoes to ship out on the Erie Canal. Owned by John S. Blazey Inc. 




    



                              Maltby Clark and out building, 4698 Port Gibson Road, East
                              Palmyra. Built of field stones.      
                                                    

Paul Jagger House, 3142 Lyon Road


3458 Lyon Road


                3049 Parker Road. Built by Caleb Avery in 1840 field stones. In
                later years it was nicknamed "Cobble Nob."
     
                                                                          Rose




                                            4306 Route 414


                                                   11273 Maunder Road



                               This now-gone house, once owned by Chester Haviland on the
                               Rose-Wolcott Road, was a small, one-story structured with a 
                               narrow gable facing the highway. A portion of the front had
                               been stuccoed over. The front was faced with lake stones and
                               the sides with field stones. The house was roughly built. The
                               quoins were an irregular red or white and had striped stones. 
                               The lintels were wooden.
                               
                                                   
                                                                 Savannah
     
         



                                          


                                         2735 Wilsey Road. Built ca.1858                                   


                                              2976 Taylor Road

Sodus


                                8524 Ridge Road (old Route 104), Alton



                    Date stone: "1840  J. Collier"








6499 Middle Road


7147 Maxwell Road

William Swales Cobblestone Houses

William Swayles built 11 or 12 cobblestone houses for himself,
his children and for tenants on what later became Sodus Fruit Farm.
These included:
1. Preston house (Gaylord) for his daughter, Elizabeth, wife
    of John Preston (Buried Sodus Rural Cemetery).
2. Maulendyke house (Dufloo Road) for his son, John, 
    (buried, Swayles Cemetery).
3. Gibson - Lake Road, for son, William Jr., buried Sodus Rural Cemetery.
4 - 5.  (Two) Sodus Fruit Farm, for himself, buried Sodus Rural Cemetery.
6.  Monar House, Lake Road (formerly Swales) built for son, George.
7. Miller's house, south of Preston's - not known for whom built.
8.  Dearlove House - south side of Halcus Road for daughter Sarah,
     now in ruins.
9. Three or four houses built on Sodus Fruit Farm, now gone.

  (This information from his great-granddaughter, Emma Potwine, ca.1955).
           
                         Cemetery Records

William Swales ( Sept. 26, 1776, Hutten, Cranswick, Yorkshire, England -
Jan. 28, 1855 - Swales Cemetery)
William Swales Jr. (1806-1857 - Sodus Rural Cemetery)
Elizabeth Swales Preston (Born Sept. 18, 1813 -  Died Dec. 26, 1903 -
Sodus Rural Cemetery)
John Swales (1815-1857 - Swales Cemetery)
William Swales Jr. (1833-1912 - Sodus Rural Cemetery)
Sarah S. Swales Gibson (1839-1927 - Sodus Rural Cemetery)
Maria Swales Nash (1843-1918 - Sodus Rural Cemetery)
Joseph Swales (1843-1907 - Sodus Rural Cemetery)
Elizabeth Swales Weeks (1841 - July 30, 1859 - Swales Cemetery)
Jame Ann Swales (1843- Jan. 2, 1845 - Swales Cemetery)

Ella G. Swales Vosburgh (1879-1976 Sodus Rural Cemetery)


           William Swales Manor House, 8602 Lake Road,                              Sodus, Former Sodus Fruit Farm



(This property has been abandoned for several years and is an advancing 

state of deterioration. )

                                                                  





                                  Evidence shows house was stuccoed over cobblestone.


                                     


                                           William Swales Manor House, in back of 8602 Lake
                                            Road, Sodus, in 1959.

                                     

                                         Main stairway and hall of Manor House, 1959




                                 Adjacent cobblestone barn is collapsing. A cobblestone
                                 house was located some distance to the north.
                                    


                                              Adjacent cobblestone barn in 1959.





                                             Abandoned Swales stone house about a mile
                                             north of Manor house. Photos by Glenn Hinchey




                                               Monument to William Swales in Swales Cemetery                                                                                  on Lake Road, Sodus
                                 
                                        ( These houses were built by William Swales)


7570 Dufloo Road




7552 Buck Lane



7752 Dufloo Road. Built for John Swales.



Same place in 1959





Old photo of 6419 Lake Road


                           7563 Lake Road,  is currently known as Maxwell  Creek Inn Bed
                           & Breakfast.  It was built in 1846. The original owners were 
                          John and Elizabeth (Swales) Preston. It is on the National Register
                          of Historic Places. Reputedly, it was a station on the Underground
                          Railroad.


                                  Former carriage house behind the house.
                               _______  


                           Ruins of cobblestone building, Beechwood State Park,
                           Lake Road, Sodus Point    
                  Rochester Democrat & Chronicle

                         August 31, 1952

                    Without Benefit of Architect
                         _______________
            More Than Century Old Preston Farm House 
            Near Sodus Point Comes Alive Again
            By Lilah Henry
      On the Old Preston Farm about two miles west of Sodus Point along the Lake Road, is one of the finest cobblestone houses in the area. Built without benefit of architect in 1845, the house has four levels and conforms to the slope of the terrain so closely  that it gives the impression of having grown out of the soil.
    It stands on a rise of ground like a sentinel scanning the horizon at the spot where a stream widening into a bay joins the waters of Lake Ontario. It has stood thus for more than 100 years, with its solid front door and wide flanking windows facing the oldest road in the township, which runs across the edge of the sloping front lawn and then dips downhill to cross the stream flowing at the side of the house.
    One under and seven years ago William Swales bought this land and built the present cobblestone house for his daughter, Elizabeth, who 10 years before had married John Preston Sr.
    The house which Swales built, with its smoothly rounded, uniform lake stones marching in straight rows back and forth across its walls from foundation to roof line, has been known simply as the Preston house from the beginning. The stream between is designated Salmon Creek on the maps, but no such name has ever been used in Sodus. It, too, has ben Preston's Creek now for more than a century.
    With the exception of about 26 years, the Preston farm and its cobblestone house have been owned by descendants of the first John Preston who came from England in 1831. Today it is back in the same family again...owned this time by Preston Arms Gaylord Jr., the great-great-grandson of the builder of the house.
    The present owner, better known as Buddy Gaylord and his wife, Mary Ellen, who i is the daughter of F. Ritter Shumway of 375 Ambassador Drive in Brighton, purchased the Preston farm this spring. Almost immediately the young couple set about the gigantic task of restoring a century old house, lived in and altered more or less by four or five generations of Prestons and as many other families.
    Entering the heavy front door with its wrought iron latch and knocker, the visitor finds himself in a wide central hall. At the far end of the hall are two stairways ... one leading down to the big dining room and kitchen on the ground level and the other rising a few steps to the bedrooms in the back wing of the house, before turning to rise to the second floor above the main part of the house.
    Opening off the front hall to the right is a long living room with twin fireplaces and deep windows, whose casings are unusual in that they slant or flare outward at about a 30 degree angle to join the interior walls of the room. The window panes, many of which are of "wavy" glass, came from England.
    As for the twin fireplaces, which the Gaylords have opened and restored, the two flues join part way up and form one chimney. This is the room in which succeeding generations of Prestons have held parties and dances. Down through the years however, this large room has been used for various purposes by different occupants. One owner used it for a combination riding room and kitchen, building a half partition or counter across the middle to separate the two areas.
    Across the hall from the living room is a smaller room, which the builder must have called the parlor. The Gaylords have opened the fireplace in this room and constructed book shelves about it. The wallpaper here is an early american design showing a repeat pattern of a Puritan girl, a hunter and his dog and a young lad playing a lute.
    Directly behind the parlor is what must  have been a parlor bedroom, the Gaylords have made a pine paneled den. However, the fireplace in this room could not be opened for use since it is now in some way connected with the heating plant chimney. This is the only one of the fireplaces to be restored.
    Up a few steps aft the end of the front hall, to the next level are bedrooms furnished attractively with canopied beds, hand quilted coverlets and authentic old chairs. On the next level, which is the second story above the main part of the house, there are still more bedrooms. Here is the mast bedroom which has been decorated around the theme of the 115-year-old red and white hand-stitched quilt on the bed.
    One of the most unique features is the ground floor level at the back which contains the old fashioned kitchen with its large fireplace and brick oven at the side, where that first Elizabeth Preston, (Buddy's great-great-grandmother) baked coarse bread, pies and cookies.
    The large, sunny kitchen with its Dutch door at the grade entrance and its wide west window is one of the pleasant spots in the house. This Buddy and Mary Ellen are using for their dining room.
    Adjoining it is the old milk room with its one-time brick floor, which has been made into a kitchen. Cupboards in natural wood finish line two sides of this long narrow room and a window at the north end looks out over the sloping lawns to the inlet and the lake beyond. With a bit of imagination the visitor can see on ledge big pans of milk waiting to be skimmed.
    Stepping directly from the kitchen into the cellar which makes up the remainder of this level, two feet thick foundation walls can be seen and the base of the exterior walls which are 18 inches through. All the original partitions in the house are masonry walls, some measuring six and others 12 inches thick.
    The Gaylords are furnishing the house in keeping with the period in which it was built. Some of the original wide plank floors have been restored and the doors have wrought iron latches, many of them the originals.
    Down the slope from the house towards the waters of the inlet, stands a two story cobblestone carriage house and on the bank of the creek, the remains of an old grist mill, which was operated for 100 years by a huge wooden water wheel polished smooth by the waters of Preston's Creek pouring from the flume into the mill wheel basin.
    Giant locust, horse chestnut and maple tress, apparently also centenarians, cast protective shade about the house, the carriage house and the old mill. The creek, less boisterous now than it was in the early days when shallow draft Canadian boats docked at the old mill to load flour, still flows smoothly past the house to the lake.
   And thus old Preston house begins its second century with an air of pleased contentment at sheltering once again a descendant of that first John Preston.    

                               
Another Swales house at 6543 Lake Road, Sodus             



6563 North Geneva Road




6242 North Geneva Road



6387 North Geneva Road




5821 Buerman Road


6123 Ridge Road


                                                        3653 Ridge Road

      
                               United Methodist Church, 8575 Ridge Road, Alton. The steeple is
                               a later addition - a touch of Romanesque style while the church
                               itself is Greek Revival. Lintels above windows are of wood.                    
                                                           _____


                                      Alton Methodist Church Has Long History
                                                 By Arch Merrill

   (Rochester Democrat & Chronicle, January 13, 1963)


    Back of the old cobblestone meetinghouse that stands on Route 104 in Alton is 
story of patient, painstaking labor on the part of its founders.
   In the middle of the 19th century, so the story goes, men of the congregation carefully gathered cobblestones from Lake Ontario's shores in bushel baskets, which were loaded on stone-boats and hauled by oxen to the church site. In 1851 the stone church was completed.
    It is now Alton Methodist Church but it began life in 1842 as the Christian Church of Alton. The principal organizer of the society was the Rev. Amasa Stanton; the first deacons were John Kelly and John Baker and the first clerk was George Gould. When the cobblestone church was built, the trustees were John G. Kelly, Frederick Utter and William R.K. Hone.
Around 1880 the church was taken over b y the Methodist Protestant denomination, an affiliation it retained until merger with the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1939.
    Its Pastor since June 1959 has been the Rev. Victor L. Smith, who also serves the Methodist Church at Sodus Point where he resides. A graduate of Houghton College and  Drew Theological Seminary, Madison, N.J., he previously previously held Methodist pastorates at McGraw and Lodi.
    His predecessors have included the Rev. F. M. Purdy, the Rev. Henry M. Becker, the Rev. David Short, the Rev. L.J. Reed, the Rev. Alden Allen, the Rev. J.C. Walden, the Rev. Floyd C. Rogers and the Rev. Fay A. Wideman, who served from 1945 to 1959, the longest tenure of any pastor. During his pastorate an elaborate centennial observance of the church was held in 1951.
    Mrs. Dayton Pitcher, now 82, has been attending Alton church since the age of six, and for more than 50 years was its organist and for many years taught its Sunday School. Other long-time members are Samuel VanderPool of Sodus who joined in 1905 and Mrs. Agnes Raymoor of Alton in 1906. The present membership of the society is 150.


This distinctive 112-year-old house of worship in the pleasant Wayne County fruit country is a tribute to the craftsmanship of the cobblestone masons, those artisans of many years ago.
                                                                    _____


Abandoned cobblestone house, Shaker Road, Alton



District 22, Pulver school house at 6343 Kelly Road






7383 State Street, Sodus



Smoke house at 4917 Route 88



 6507 Route 14, west side, near Sodus Point







       5351 South Geneva Road. Now an 
Amish family home.



                  

  5577 South Geneva Road


       Barn behind the house, west side of road.



Date stone on barn "J. F. Proseus 1849"




5893 South Geneva Road




5256 Route 14



5584 Main St., Sodus Center




5549 Main St., Sodus Center





5539 Main St., Sodus Center



6813 Maple Ave.



                         7951 Ridge Road, north side, Wallington. House known
                        as the Walling Cobblestone Tavern (old Route 104) in the
                        hamlet  of Wallington, is a heavily modified Neo Classical
                        style cobblestone building erected about 1834. It is on
                        the National Register of Historic Places.

Rochester Democrat & Chronicle
August 25. 1929

Early Tavern Loses Its Romance
But Not Comfort as Modern Home
______
Stage Coach Once Rattled to Door of Turnpike House
Where Weary Travelers Rested or Made Merry:
Remodeled, It Shelters 20th Century Family 
____

    Wallington, Aug. 24. - The days of stagecoaches and quaint-looking taverns where many years ago travelers along the main turnpike between Eastern and Western New York made merry over the flowing bowl as the village fiddler played "Money Musk," "Pop Goes the Weasel" and other old-tome airs are recalled in an old cobblestone house standing close to the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks here. 
    The Wallington Tavern, for as such it was known in stagecoach days, was built entirely of cobblestones in 1834 by William Walling, the village's honored sage. Shortly afterward the tavern became known as the halfway house between Oswego and Rochester. Here coach horses either rested or were exchanged and passengers whiled away the hours in rollicking pastime. Stories of merry holiday parties, especially around Christmas time, are still narrated and it is said that the jovial landlord spared neither the best of his wine cellar nor the most appetizing which his larder afforded to give his guests a welcome would insure their early return. 
    Many years ago a traveler stopped at the tavern to rest and refresh himself, according to a story which is still told in this village. He entered the tavern through swinging doors over which appeared the boldly painted sign: "Beer." After he had remained in the taproom for some time, he was struck with a blunt instrument by another guest and killed. The motive may have been robbery or revenge. That point has never been made clear in the narrative. After he was killed the body was taken to strip of woods near the village, a shallow grave dug and the body thrown into it.
  Years later, his remains were accidentally unearthed, but his identity never was established definitely. Above the present front of the once old tavern, now an attractive dwelling owned and occupied by Charles E. Whiting, the marble stone sign bearing the words "William Walling, 1834," is sill plainly visible. Walling conducted the tavern, which he later called the Wallington Hotel, for many years, and its ownership subsequently changed several times until the Town of Sodus went dry under the local option law and eventually Gabriel Ackerman, the last proprietor, barred the doors.
                                      New Family Home
    With the coming of the automobile and interurban bus lines, this famous old landmark has been converted into an attractive and comfortable home by its present owner. There are other cobblestone buildings in this vicinity. Some of them are old, while a few of them existed when a war between the United Stages and Mexico never was dreamed of by early residents of the northern tier of Wayne County. The passing of the stagecoach has left many reminders of those romantic days in this section, but the old Walling Tavern will probably be known a long time hence as the popular rendezvous of weary but fun-loving travelers close to a century ago between the "Lake City" and the "Flower City."
   


                           View of the same structure in the 19th Century, looking east, 
                           showing modifications over the years. The current porch was
                          added in the 1920s. Pole at left is a grade crossing warning 
                          sign for the Northern Central Railroad.

                           


                      Cobblestone schoolhouse, 5663 Lake Road, Wallington was placed 
                         is on the National Register  in 1994.                             
                                

                                                        6172 Ridge Road, Sodus




                                                                   6211 Route 88

                           

                                                            6172 Ridge Road                                   

                                                                                                 
                                                             Walworth



                    Evangelical United Brethren Church,  3960 West Walworth Road.
                             Built 1856.


                                       How not to restore a  cobblestone school house,
                                       2677 Smith Hill Road at corner of Townline Road.
                                   

 5656 Walworth-Ontario Road. Neo-classical



2427 Smith Road. Neo classical


                                       House at 4090 Walworth-Ontario Road. Date stone
                                       says "M. Padley 1844".






                                       2209 Walworth-Penfield Road, Walworth


                                       2203 Walworth-Penfield Road



                                       2188 Walworth-Penfield Road


                             4625 Lewis Road, built 1835
                            3353 Daansen Road




                                Cobblestone smoke house, 3973 Canandaigua Road




                                            3355 Autumnwood (formerly Gananda Parkway)

                                                                           Williamson 
                              


This house at 4184 Washington St., Pultneyville, was built 1832 by stone mason 
Washington Throop for his brother Captain Horatio Nelson Throop, a noted
 lake captain and steamboat magnate. It was completed in time for the marriage
 of Captain Throop to Mary F. Ledyard. Quoins, lentils and front door surround
 with transom window are red sandstone. The house features a wide frieze and 
crescent windows in the gable ends. Large cobbles were used which is unusual 
since the house is near the shore of Lake Ontario were lake cobbles were  plentiful. 
In the early 2000s it was a bed and breakfast which has since been discontinued.        


                  House at 3424 Ridge Road was originally the First Methodist Church
                of Williamson. Windows redone after church discontinued. Date stone
                says “Ridge Chapel 1839."
                                                                                         



               This stately  house at 6405 Salmon Creek Road, Williamson, built by C.B.
               Adams  in 1850. It was built with carefully-selected lake-washed red sandstones. 


                         
     (Date Stone above front door, "C.B. Adams 1850")
                                               ____






                   6520 Townline Road at corner with State Route 104. Built by J.R.
                   Willard 1848. 


                                         7127 Townline Road,  built of small red cobbles.




                            5445 Route 21 
          
                           
                                    
                                           This cobblestone house 4051 West Main Street (Ridge Road)
                                in Williamson was constructed in 1838 as the home of Dr.
                                Josiah Bennett, who died in 1850. He was succeeded by Dr.
                                Dr. Westel Willoughby Ward, who had his office in an adjacent
                               wooden building east of the house. About 1931 the house
                               was altered to become a gas station. 



                            This photo was taken in 1920  and shows Dr. Ward 
                             and his wife, Mary. 
               Photo courtesy of Williamson Town Historian Perry Howland.



                                     Same location in the 1940s.

                            

                                 Adams-Graboswki House, 2871 Ridge Road     

Rochester Democrat & Chronicle

February 13, 1953

               A Century Old Landmark
    An old cobblestone farm house on the Ridge Road west of the village, is being restored. The "old Adams house," as it is called, has stood with its shoulder toward the Ridge since Zachary Taylor was president.
    It has seen the Ridge Road change from a dusty trail to a busy modern highway and has watched surrounding woodlands and muck swamps change to productive farm lands.
    The narrow end wall which faces the Ridge is made up with smooth cobblestones of uniform size, while the two side walls which extend back quite a distance are fashioned of cobblestones of a slightly larger size. The thresholds are huge slabs of gray stone. The second story windows under the sloping eaves are the small rectangular grill windows usually seen in cobblestone houses.
    A little over a year ago this house passed out of the hands of the Adams family, afer being owned by it for well over 100 years. The new owners,  Mr. and Mrs. Louis G. Clemens, who are now deep n the process of restoring the house.
    Clemens, a former tin can manufacturer, has retired twice ... once in 1945 after which he went back to work again after a few months of leisure time, and again in 1952 after which he bought the 92-acre Adams farm and began seriously to learn to be a farmer,  and to remodel the cobblestone house.
    Two form front rooms have now been converted into a large sunny living room, dominated by a stone fireplace, whose attractive and rather unusual stones were picked up on the farm by the masons to lend a variety to the stonework.
   Each window has a deep ledge and most of the windows have been restored with 13 lanes in the too sash and eight in the lower sash.
    Huge square hand-hewn beams are built into the house and here and there hand-forged square headed nails are to be found. All these will remain to add to the beauty and sturdiness of the old house, although much of the old-time lath and plaster has been been removed from the interior walls and replaced by modern lath and plaster. Thus another Williamson landmark is being preserved for generations to come.

      


                                                           4965 Main Street, East Williamson


                                                          4535 Ridge Road



First Baptist Church, 4214 Ridge Road, village of Williamson, built 1843.
                       It is surrounded by a wide frieze.
                   
                             
   
                                                      5621 Ridge Chapel Road



                            5875 Eddy Ridge Road. Cobblestone house with larger wooden
                            frame house built as later addition.                                   
                                     
                                       


                             
                        5810 Eddy Ridge Road. Stone house with  cobblestone cobblestone
                        addition, probably original  kitchen.
                                   

                                       3520 Eddy Road


                                       6554 Salmon Creek Road


                                                6934 Bear Swamp Road
                                 

                                       7076 Bear Swamp Road
                                       
                                   
                                     3530 Shepherd Road, built 1834.
                                     
                                   
                                   
                                     4442 Jersey Road


                               
                                     5149 Middle Road


                                                4100 Lake Road


                                                    4025 Lake Road


                                     4092 Lake Road, Pultneyville, schoolhouse built in 1845.
                               
                                                               Wolcott



                                     This cobblestone house once stood at the corner 
                                     of Auburn and Oswego streets in the village of 
                                    Wolcott. It was built in 1833-4 by Levi Smith Sr.,
                                    an early settler in the area.  A small store was located
                                    in the west end. It burned on February 2, 1909.

Lake Shore News
Wolcott, N.Y.,
September 6, 1906

     Furnace Village School House
    A correspondent writing of the Furnace village schoolhouse says no one knows who built it. It was built by Levi Smith, the same man who built the Foster cobblestone house in Wolcott. We have this on the authority of Wesley Hendrick, of Sterling Valley, who lived there when the school house was built. 

Syracuse Post-Standard
Tuesday, February 9. 1909

Old Landmark Laid in Ruins
                  ___
Cobblestone House at Wolcott
    Succumbs to the Elements
                  ___
    WOLCOTT, Feb. 2. - The recent cold weather has proved too severe for one of the oldest landmarks of  Wayne county and the old cobblestone house at the top of Mill hill in Wolcott village has become a heaped mass of stones and mortar. The building has served in turn as a tavern, a store and a dwelling, being finally vacated about five years ago by the late Mrs. Kimplin.
    The building was erected by Levi Smith, one of the pioneer settlers of Wolcott, in 1833. Mr. Smith bought the land on which it stood from Johnston Melvin, being a part of a 500-acre tract which was granted to Melvin by the government in 1804. This parcel of land is now the northern part of Wolcott village.
    It was built by Smith for a "cold water" tavern. Mr. Smith's enterprise failed and he turned the building into a country variety store, for which purpose it served many years. Later when the mercantile establishments of the village became located on the opposite side of Wolcott creek the building was converted into a dwelling and has since retained that appearance.

    The cobblestones with which the wall was faced were carefully selected along the lake shore. They gave the appearance of being almost uniform in size and were laid with extreme regularity.



                               
                                              6583 Route 104A, Red Creek


                                  
                                            6583 Route 104A, Red Creek, in 1955


Comments